Wednesday 22 October 2008

Shooting fish in a barrel

I don't know, the good old sport of mocking the Republican campaign is somehow losing its lustre and becoming less fun. The Object Of This Blog's Obsession is essentially self-parodying, and the old man seems to sinking into senility at an alarming rate.

You may have heard that the Democrat Jack Murtha was reported as saying recently that "There is no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area". A nice opening for McCain when he spoke there yesterday. This is what he said - speaking with the aid of a teleprompter -

"I think you may have noticed that Senator Obama's supporters have been saying some pretty nasty things about western Pennsylvania lately." [crowd boos] You know, I couldn't agree with them more. [stunned slience] I couldn't disagree with you, I couldn't agree with you more than the fact that western Pennsylvania is the most patriotic, most God loving, most patriotic part of America. And this is a great part of the country. My friends I couldn't agr-- I could not disagree with those critics more, this is a great part of America." (h/t ABC news politics blog)

I mean honestly. On the one hand, the most inspirational political speaker of his generation. On the other, Grandpa Simpson meets the Rowan-Atkinson-vicar-from-Four-Weddings.

No comments: