Friday 24 April 2009

Who would vote Labour now?

From UK Polling Report -

"The Telegraph have published the first voting intention poll since the budget. The topline figures in the YouGov poll, with changes from their last one, are CON 45%(+4), LAB 27%(-7), LDEM 18%(+2). It was conducted between Wednesday and Thursday afternoon."

Labour at 27% is universally seen as a low figure. It seems staggeringly high to me.

Who the f*ck are these people? Do you know anyone - anyone - who says if there was an election tomorrow they would vote for this bunch of corrupt, smearing, bankrupting, authoritarian incompetents? Fair enough, you might not be able to face voting Tory, but surely you'd vote Green or abstain - not positively vote for Labour?

Is this a class thing? A geography thing?

Really: why aren't Labour on, I don't know, 15% tops? What would it take to get their support down to that level? It seems to me, on this evidence, that the entire Cabinet could be found to be running a paedophile ring, and Labour would still be bouncing on 21, 22% in the polls.

2 comments:

Spinoza said...

Rational choice theory suggests that even the dumbest creatures make subconcious decisions that will be in their own best interests.
Even Polly Toynbee, in the privacy of the voting booth, won't put a cross by the labour candidate this time.

JG said...

I think it's not quite as mad as you think. And I also think if there were an election tomorrow, Labour's share of the vote would be higher than 27% (though I still they'd lose).

For some people it's a very deeply ingrained thing, and I don't think it's as simple as just saying 'class'. Personally, I would never vote Conservative. I would never vote Green because it's a complete waste of a vote in our current electoral system. I couldn't bring myself to vote Lib Dem, for reasons I can't quite explain. (Although actually our local MP is now Lib Dem, having ridden to power at the last election on a shamelessly-exploited wave of anti-war feeling, so that's one reason why I wouldn't.) So I would be faced with a choice of either voting Labour or abstaining, and abstaining is basically the same as not voting (even if you spoil your paper or make some other silly token gesture) and I don't approve of not voting either.

When it comes down to it, I still think a lot of people vote Labour because there is actually only a choice between two parties and they're scared of getting the Tories back for another 20 years.